Saturday, April 16, 2011

Shaun the Sheep Party!

Today we celebrated Maelie's 2nd birthday with a Shaun the Sheep Extravaganza! He was everywhere - on a pennant banner I made in the living room, hanging from the ceiling, even on her birthday cake! It was really difficult to find anything Shaun the Sheep. In fact, I didn't find anything that was available for purchase in the US, besides a DVD at Target. I even called Brits on Mass in Lawrence and they said that normally the are the highest volume seller in the US of all things Shaun, but they have tragically been cut off from Shaun shipments in the last few months. So I was forced to make everything for the party.

I started by making 10 little paper Shauns for the invitations. I printed off a Shaun from Google image, then cut out the body parts and traced them on paper. A few hours and a lotta glue later, I had these...


Then I had the idea of making a banner. I took advantage of working my last week at my super slow branch and whipped this up...


It turned out HUGE! Then Adam and I put together these guys...


They are little tissue pompoms with Shaun heads and legs! They were super easy to make and my favorite part of the party!

We called in our lovely friend Lisa to make the cake...


Isn't that perfect? I couldn't believe how great he turned out! That Lisa is a cake genius! For the other treats, we had ice cream, cupcakes, Whoopie pies, carrots and celery with dip,pita chips, pastel M&Ms and cherry limeade soda.


Maelie stayed at my mom's last night, so when she walked in the house and saw all the different Shauns, she was really excited! Our families arrived and the cousins all watched an episode of Shaun before opening presents. Then she refused a piece of cake, instead making it very clear to all of us that she wanted to blow out candles on a cupcake. So she did...


I was able to get her a (non-authentic, I'm sure) stuffed Shaun (from Hong Kong...??) and here is an action shot of her totally in love...


And I am totally in love with my Maelie Kate. Almost 2 years ago, I sat in a hospital bed, hooked up to all kinds of monitors, not knowing if she would be able to make it through that day. My pregnancy was a risky one - I had some complications and my Doctor had been running weekly tests on us to make sure that she was developing on track. But on the day she was born, I nearly cancelled my last Doctor's appointment. I was scheduled to be induced 2 days later, so why go for the last test? I am so glad I kept it. The girl that did the tests saw that my placenta had ruptured and I was bleeding internally. I went straight to the hospital and waited, hoping I would be in good enough shape for them to induce me. But things went downhill very quickly and they had to take her via emergency C-section. Afterwards, I found out that around 40% of women who have this condition do not get to leave the hospital with a baby in their arms. We were very very fortunate. And through genetic testing, I discovered that I have a condition that should make it nearly impossible for me to carry a pregnancy to term. Yet my first child was born with no complications at all and my Maelie had made it out in the nick of time. I apologize for all the gory details, but it is part of the amazing story that put Maelie in our little family forever. I am amazed daily at the gift I have in my girls. And I'm so glad I get to celebrate their lives and milestones with all our family! Happy Birthday, Maelie Kate!

**********

I have received a lot of requests for directions on how to make the pompom Shauns, so I thought I would add the directions.  I used the directions for making the pompoms on Martha Stewart's website.  I printed off an image of Shaun's face off of Google image and enlarged it on the copier.  Then I traced the face onto paper, cut out the pieces and taped them onto the pompoms.  They are super easy to make and will make your party even more festive!  Hip Hip Hooray for Shaun the Sheep!

6 comments:

Shelby said...

Hi there! I am throwing my son a Shaun the Sheep party and I want to make those adorable pom-pom sheep, but I can't seem to make them look as cute as you have. Any secrets?

Anonymous said...

hi.. where you got the shaun the sheep in Hong Kong?! I'm loking for it too... please advise me..
thx a lot

Anonymous said...

I made one of the large sheep for my grandson's 2nd birthday party and it turned out soooooo cute! I used some left over foam packing wrap instead of tissue paper. Also I printed out pictures of Shaun that I cut out and put on party hats, plates, noisemakers, etc. He loved it!

Angie B. said...

Thanks for sharing, my sons turn 3 in two weeks and we are doing Shaun the sheep this year! thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am going to do a Shaun the Sheep party for my sons 2nd b'day, and was wondering if you could tell me how you made the Shaun the sheep tissue pompoms?? I'm not really crafty so lots of details please. Your help would be really appreciated.

Kind regards
Amanda

Anonymous said...

This is so adorable! I love the story of your daughter's birth... what a miracle and blessing. I'm planning a Shaun party for my 5 year old daughter! She says Shaun the Sheep is "so wacky!"

Post a Comment