Friday, February 3, 2012

Kitchen Makeover Pins...

We are gearing up for our kitchen makeover and I couldn't be more excited about it. Our kitchen is currently not horrible, just not anything that I would ever pick. Just to remind you of my dream kitchen, this is what my old kitchen looked like...




I got to pick everything. We completely gutted the old kitchen and started completely from scratch. I loved it so much.

Compared to my old house, my current kitchen leaves much to be desired. The cabinets, countertops, tile, floor...it's all very, well, outdated. But that makes sense. Remember the couple we bought the house from were in their mid-80's, so I'm pretty sure the last time anything was "updated" in the house was the late 80's-early 90's. Here's what the kitchen looked like on walk through...

VERY boring. But there are some positives. The cabinets, although original, are in really great shape! It's just a bit of wood overload when you walk in the room. The plan is to paint them white, possibly after adding some beadboard or trim to jazz them up a little, replace the handles and call it good. What I am thinking we could do with the cabinets is something like this...



The tile backsplash has got to go. I really don't like the fruit basket thing over the cooktop. Like REALLY don't like it. It's just not me. We have talked about putting beadboard over the tile. Something like this...



And that brings me to the countertops. I am going to go with black countertops again. In my old house, there was no way we could have recouped the cost of granite. But in my current neighborhood, we definitely would. Although I am still leaning toward the same laminate countertops we had in the old house, I am definitely open to keeping an eye of for an amazing granite deal.

I bragged a couple of posts ago about my totally amazing kitchen base cabinet purchase. Such an incredible deal at $40! I have been pinning ideas for the cabinet transformation. It will be a hardworking island, providing much needed countertop space and also space for the 4 of us to gather to eat together. Here are some ideas for the island makeover...






Do you see what these two islands have in common?? It's those shapely legs! I decided a great way to support the overhang of the countertop (in order for us to be able to sit around the island) is to get a couple of legs. Where am I planning on getting these legs? Well, my Dad just happens to have a super nice lathe and has agreed to turn me a couple of legs for my island! GO DAD!! Beadboard will come in handy for the island too, because the back and sides are unfinished.

Finally, the flooring. In my old kitchen I had black and white check vinyl. But it wasn't just black and white squares, it looked like stone and was in a harlequin pattern. I would love to find the exact same flooring again. It's just so classic.


LOVE that!! I have already started painting the walls with the same color that I used in the old house. It's Behr's Corn Husk, a light springy green. One of my most favorite colors ever!

So there you have it. My kitchen plans. Almost all will be DIY, except for counters and floors. How about you? What does your dream kitchen look like?

3 comments:

Megan said...

Mine looks like these pictures!!!!! :) Love the islands!!!

plumbing supplies said...

Each of us have their own kitchen dreams. Well, i was hoping that mine would also come true.

flooring Houston said...

The first thing I want my kitchen to be is spacious. I do love cooking and so, I certainly want a lot of space. I also want my cabinets to be painted white to give that fresh look every time and also help brighten up the space. I also want marble countertops and a great hardwood floor. I hope all these will come true. Anyway, thank you for sharing this post! Please post some after pictures!

Post a Comment